Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Grandma Amy's White Dress

About a month ago, I had the wonderful opportunity of going to Time Out For Women with my Mom and sisters. It was held up in Logan so we stayed at Sondra's house Friday through Sunday. For those of you who have no idea what Time Out For Women is, it is a 2 day event (well Friday night and all day Saturday) where you hear fantastic speakers talk about church stuff. I seriously get my spiritual cup filled and then some when I go. This is my second year going and I highly recommend it to everyone! I didn't realize you could laugh so hard, feel the spirit and learn so much at the same time.
Anyway, while I was there Kenneth Cope, well-known song writer and church singer, told two stories and sang a song that really touched my heart. I got many things out of this event, but nothing has touched me like this did.
One of the stories was of a 12 year old girl who had passed away. She had come and visited her little sister and asked her little sister to make her a white dress. The sister asked why she came to her and the response was that she couldn't get through to her mother. The mother, after hearing this story, did some research and discovered that she could take her daughter's name through the temple and receive her endowments.
Second story was of an older lady (I'm not sure of the age) that was visited by her mother who had passed on. Her mother asked for her to make her a white dress. The daughter hesitated and told her mother she had too much to do that day, but that she would get to it. The mother responded by telling her that if she knew what the mother had to go through to come and see her she would do it immediately. So that day she went and did her mom's temple work. That night, the lady fell ill and died two weeks later.
The song he sang after these two stories is called "White Dress" and it tells of these two stories within the song. It also talks about how you have to have a white dress in order to meet the Savior. It hit me so hard that I was in tears. Grandma Amy didn't have her white dress in order for her to meet the Savior.
About a year ago, I was asked to do Grandma Amy's temple work. I tried. I would work on it here and there, but for some reason I just couldn't get it done. Something would always come up or I would find out the hard way that the information I had wasn't done right so it would get pushed to the back burner once again.
Well, I am so happy to say that it is done! Grandma Amy now has her white dress and is sealed to her husband and her three children. What an amazing experience this last week has been for me! I am so humbled and grateful for the opportunity I had to do this. I have had the most amazing experiences with getting this work done. I can't even explain. I probably will never have those experiences again. It makes a difference when you know the person you are doing the work for. I know it was meant to happen when it did because everything fell into place and the feelings I have felt.
I am so thankful for this wonderful opportunity and the amazing person she is. I will cherish these experiences forever!

2 comments:

Kristy and Paul said...

I am so excited that you where able to have that experience.
I look forward to the time that I can get my family done.
Thanks for sharing your experience it was very inspiring.

Knudsen Family said...

It's about time you got that done! Just kidding. I am glad that you were able to do this. What a wonderful experience! I love the song by Kenneth Cope now you can add Grandma Amy's name to the list of people who have their white dresses!