Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Sigh Of Relief

Today I took Mason in for his follow up appointment with his Pediatrician. His foot has healed and there are no signs of the melanoma. What a relief!!! I have been so worried the past month and a half that I felt like I was going crazy. I am sooo thankful for the outcome.

Recommendations now are lots and lots of Sunscreen. I seriously am pro sunscreen now. Not like I wasn't before. I just didn't reapply as often as I probably should have. I don't think it was the lack of sunscreen that caused the melanoma for Mason since it was on the arch of his foot. Honestly, how would you get sun there. I just don't want to take any chances. It was a very painful experience for Mason and a stressful situation for the whole family.

So now we just watch. If there are any spots on his foot, light or dark, small or large, I am to take him back in. Also, I have to watch for other spots that might appear anywhere else on his body. Anything that looks abnormal, grows rapidly, or darker over a short period of time needs to be looked at immediately. Since Mason has had it and I have a family history of it his chances are pretty high of getting it again.

Kaylee is also at risk so needless to say, both my kids will be lathered and sprayed with sunscreen at all times now. I will try my hardest to do my part from either of my kids going through that.

What a relief!

1 comment:

Lara said...

So glad everything is okay! It's a lesson to me to be more pro-sunscreen!