Saturday, February 23, 2008

Mason's Surgery


On Valentines Day, we had the joy of spending the morning at Primary Children's Hospital as Mason underwent surgery. It was a simple procedure, but still nerve racking! Here is a picture of my little trooper as we waited in the examining room before taking him to surgery.
As we waited, they gave him some medicine that would help calm him down so they would be able to take him away from us without to much of a problem. He was sitting in the wagon and was not going to give up. I was tickling him with a dinosaur they had and his head would flop forward and he wouldn't be able to get it back up so I would help him out. Then, he would flop to the side and I would have to do the same. As he was towed to the surgery room in the wagon, he was trying so hard to sit up but couldn't. Jeramy said at least he was a happy drunk!
The surgery went well. There was a bump on his tummy that was called an Epigastric Hernia, meaning a fatty tissue was sticking through his abdominal muscles. The surgeon went in and poked it all back where it belongs. I was really shocked at how fast they had us in and out. We registered at 7:00 AM and were home by 11:30 AM. The stipulation to go home was that he had to be awake a little and drink 4 oz of Apple Juice. Jer came in and got him to wake up and of course Mason was thirsty since he wasn't able to drink anything since the night before. After they let us go, Mason barely made it to the car before he was back asleep. He slept for 6, almost 7 hours, and has been is active self since. I am so thankful that everything went as well as it did.

No comments: